It has been said by many that the NIV is the most readable and accurate Bible on the market today and that it is based on older and more reliable manuscripts than the King James Bible. In regard to the above statements an "acid test" is the only fair way to put the NIV and the KJV "to the test" as one might say... so get out your NIV, a pen and when you have completed the test I encourage you to then take a KJV and see the result...
Using the New International
Version (NIV) Bible, answer the following questions. Do not rely on your
memory. As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from
the Bible verse (not from footnotes but from the text).
1. Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies, __________ them that curse you, ______________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."
2. According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of demon? a. ______ b. _______
3. According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth? _______________
4. According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name? ________
5. In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV. ________________
6. In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to: ____________
7. According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear? ____________
8. According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name? _____________
9. In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know? _______________
10. In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do? a. _______ b. ________
11. In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus? ___
12. According to Luke 23:38, in
what three languages was the superscription written?
a. _______ b. _______ c. ________
13. In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish? ______________
14. John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man? __________
15. What happened each year as told in John 5:4? ____________
16. In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus? _______
17. In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism? _______
18. What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6? _______
19. Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34. _______
20. Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command? a. _______ b._______ c. _______
21. Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV. _____________
22. First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh? _______
23. In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do? a. _______ b. _______
24. Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7? a. ___ b.___ c. ___
25. Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A______________ and O___________, the _________ and the _______:"
Conclusion: Little space is provided for your answers, but it's much more than needed. If you followed the instructions above, you not only failed the test, you receive a big goose egg. If you would like to improve your score, and in fact score 100%, you can take this test using the Authorized (King James) Bible.